Willow Tree Words offers three different types of editing: stylistic editing (also known as line editing), copyediting, and proofreading.

These terms are often used interchangeably, but they are all different services. I am able to provide editing focussed in one particular category, or discuss a blend of editing types as required for your document.

Stylistic Editing

This type of editing involves clarifying meanings, removing jargon or colloquialisms, and generally smoothing the language used. It may involve adjusting the language for reading level or type of audience or purpose.


This editing category is concerned with all things mechanical, such as correcting grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Copyediting also includes checking for internal consistency of facts and document style.


This stage of editing is the final stage of editing, to be completed right before publication. It ensures no errors have been introduced to the final formatting and checks that any inserted artwork is correctly placed.


You will never be surprised with hidden charges or arbitrary fees when you go to sign a contract with Willow Tree Words. The prices below are exactly what you can expect to pay, plus applicable taxes.

Stylistic EditingCopyeditingProofreading

For documents under 10,000 words, I take payment after sending you the final revision. For manuscripts over 10,000 words, I require a non-refundable deposit of 30% upfront, with the remaining 70% due upon delivery of the completed edit.

Sample Edits

For book manuscripts over 35,000 words, I am willing to edit approximately 1,000 words of your document for free. You will send me your entire manuscript, and then I will choose the section from your document to sample edit.


I require each client to sign a contract. This is to benefit and protect us both, as it ensures deadlines are met, payments are sent, and confidentiality is upheld.

Style Guides/Dictionaries

The primary style guide I work from is the Chicago Manual of Style. I am able to adapt to house style guides as well. Unless otherwise discussed, I use the Merriam-Webster Dictionary or the Oxford Canadian Dictionary, depending on the region for which the writing is intended.